Friday 21 June 2013

Guennadi's "Old Maple"

I am still struggling at times with oil paint so I enrolled in Guennadi Kalinine's painting landscapes from photos class so that I could learn from him.  He said that a great way to learn is to copy a master so I decided to copy one of his.  How better to learn than to copy a master while he is looking over your shoulder.
I wanted to learn how he does his backgrounds, tree leaves and grasses so I chose a wonderful painting that has all three.  Of all the paintings that I have done with oil paint this one was the most fun.
I am very happy with this one.  
I need to learn how to properly photograph oil paintings.  They all look much better in real life when you can see the texture in the thick paint.  
Saddly last night was the last class.

No comments:

Post a Comment