Wednesday 13 January 2016

Repairs

I didn't have much time to paint today but I decided to use it to repair two paintings.  I have found that a wonderful way to paint and to learn at the same time is to take old rejects and play with them.


This firs painting was painted on a cold December day and it was the second to last painting that I painted.  Like the last one it too fell over and was damaged.  I wasn't concerned at the time because I didn't like the painting.  It had the sun hitting the top section of the castle but no highlight on the lower floor.  It was the way it was in reality but in the painting it looked wrong.  I added the highlight to the bottom and like it a lot more.



This is the painting from yesterday mostly repaired.  I eliminated most of the scratches and smudges and removed the big chunks of debris.  The smaller pieces will brush off once the painting is dried.  I look at this painting and I am happy with it and the next time I look at it I think reject pile.  I will have to look at it for a while.

I need to spend more time painting in my studio.  Most of what I don't like about these paintings is the sloppy brushwork, mostly from the cold.

2 comments:

  1. Love the last one and how the foreground leads the viewers eye into the painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey. Debbie and I hope that all is well with you. I was wondering where you got too and just found out from John M. I was missing you before I even knew that you had moved. Please keep in tough and next time Debbie and I head your way we will try to make a painting date.

    ReplyDelete