Monday 25 July 2016

Hidden Valley in the Heat

Wow was it hot out there.  Only six of us showed up to paint in the heat by the creek in Hidden Valley. When I set up I was surrounded by trees with a good canopy but what I didn't realize until the clouds parted was that I was directly under an opening in the trees.  When the sun came out I started to cook and my oil paint became very soft and slippery.

This is 16" X 12" and I painted it in about an hour and a half.  That is very quick even for me but by the time I finished I was soaked in sweat and exhausted. The sun kept coming and going as the clouds swept by so I at times had to pause and wait to see where the light was hitting.

Despite the discomfort and challenges it was great to be out painting. This was painted with transparent red iron oxide, phthalo blue, Hansa yellow and both zinc and titanium white. The limited palette makes it much easier to work fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment