Tuesday 20 September 2016

Is it watercolour?

While I was painting this a passerby asked how I could use watercolour on a paper palette.  I wasn't.  I am playing around trying to find a system that will work for me on the French River trip. I wondered if I could use acrylic paint like watercolour and I think that with practice I could.  I have read that there will be adhesion issues if I dilute the acrylic paint this much so we will see.

It was a perfect day to paint.  It was about 24 C but I was in the shade and there was a cool breeze coming off the lake.  This is small (9 X 12) but a comfortable canoe trip size and gessoed watercolour paper so very light.  It was painted in about an hour and a half with many disruptions which can be troublesome when working with acrylic paint on a warm breezy day.

I had fun painting this which is a first with acrylic paint but that is probably because I was using my very comfortable watercolour techniques.  I have some issues with the finished painting but it was fun, I learned a lot and I think this method may work.  Now up to my studio to work on a portrait commission.  Now that is work.

No comments:

Post a Comment