Wednesday 26 September 2012

Canterbury Light

DVSA fall classes started this week and we had a perfect afternoon to paint in Catherine Gibon's landscape class yesterday.  We met in the parking lot of the Canterbury Hills Conference Centre which is the centre of a huge conservation area.  It is still too early for strong fall colour but there were some nice bright yellows here and there.  I found a wonderful spot in some old growth forest.  It was very shady and dark where I was painting but the sun was shining brilliantly on some yellow leaves in the background.  I love painting back lit trees and especially if there is some good colour behind them.  I think that I am getting closer to what I am striving for with every attempt.  I spent an hour and a half painting a disaster and then about 15 minutes painting this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment