Tuesday 18 September 2012

Ontario Plein Air Society show and sale

It was another fantastic OPAS weekend.  Fifteen artists all had some wall space in J E H MacDonald House in Thornhill.  There was a painting challenge where we were given two and a half hours to paint a painting somewhere within the festival area.  We headed out at 9:30 AM and had to be back by noon to frame our paintings and set them up on our easels for judging.  I stayed on the gallery grounds and painted the house which means I have now painted Tom Thomson's shack and J E H MacDonald's house this summer. The judges were local councillors so probably not the best art critics but I ended up with a third place so I am not complaining.

The calibre of art both in the gallery and in the challenge was amazing.  This is a wonderful group of very talented artists, all with a love of painting outdoors, and I am proud to be able to say that I am one of them.  They have dragged me across the line from hobbyist to serious painter.  There was only one painting sold (not one of mine) but I painted lots and received a lot of very positive feedback from many of the roughly four hundred people who went through the gallery.

Here is my painting from Saturday morning. 11" X 15" watercolour.  It placed third in the challenge.



Here are my watercolour and ink sketches from today.  These are in my small 5" X 8" Journal.  I must apologize to Judi because she is nowhere near as short and wide as I painted her.  Figures definitely aren't my strength.



No comments:

Post a Comment