Tuesday 19 February 2013

Copetown Marsh 11" X 14" Oil on canvas board



Today was my first time painting outdoors with oils.  It was -2 C and alternating between snow and sleet and I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time.  The winter marsh was alive with colour.  The cool greys in the background, the yellows of the willows, the brilliant red of the dogwoods and here and there patches of glowing white snow.

I started out painting as I would with watercolours, and struggled a bit, but once I realized how easy it was to go back in and punch up the highlights or make a tree skinnier I started having a blast.  This may not be a great painting but I am really excited about it.  I was told twice today that I have found my medium.  I am certainly enjoying working with it.

Oopsie!  I had to do some repairs.  It seems I thinned some of my paint too much and it all started to run down the canvas.  It is now laying flat until it dries.

No comments:

Post a Comment