Monday 25 August 2014

McMichael Challenge

Yesterday about twenty artists gathered at the McMichael Gallery for a painting competition.  We were given about four hours to complete a painting and then they were judged and prizes given out.  I didn't win any prizes but I didn't expect to so I am good with that.  There were some amazing artists there.  It was a challenging day to paint because it was mostly cloudy but the sun would pop out for a few seconds here and there.

This was my first painting.  It took me close to three hours which is a long time for me.  I loved the scene except for the tree on the left hanging over the Humber River.  I knew that tree was going to cause me grief and it did.  I scraped it off three times.  I should have done a few thumbnails before painting to get it resolved early.  This is a bit overworked but I am happy with it.


When I finished my first painting I turned and discovered Debbie, my wife, sitting reading in a patch of sunlight.  All the colours were very warm and I have had fun painting with just purple and yellow so I pulled them out and did this painting in about twenty minutes.

Both paintings are 12" X 16" oil on hardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment