Thursday 21 August 2014

Why I don't touch them up in my studio

It was an exceptional morning to paint and only three of us came out.  When we started at 9:00 AM it was a bit foggy with heavy clouds but every once in a while the sun would peak through and light up the fields.  Some of the trees are starting to turn yellow and the golden rod and clover are blooming full force so there is lots of colour if we look for it.

I painted this in about two hours and I was very happy with it. I am getting better at using oils for my underpainting. This time I underpainted with Ultramarine Blue.  As we painted the fog disappeared and the blue of the sky began to poke through.  More and more we had the bright sun lighting up the field.



When I got it home and looked at it with fresh eyes I decided that I didn't like the dark section of the lower sky in the centre.  It seemed to kill the depth in the sky.  I went up to may studio to make the change.  It still didn't look right so I thought maybe if I softened the background trees a bit more it would help.  Oopsie!  Now the whole painting has lost its strength and it is looking very overworked.




This is better but I didn't match that wonderful dark green that I had before and the sky had better depth when it was darker.  Hmmmmm.

I am going to leave this for now.  I may work on it again or I may not.  Can it be saved?

No comments:

Post a Comment