Tuesday 18 November 2014

It's Woolies Time

Four of us painted outside today.  Oh what fun.  It was -10 C with a gusting wind that drove the temperature with the wind chill to -23 C.  My oil paints got thicker and thicker until they finally froze solid enough that I could no longer work with them.  This will be my third winter painting outside with oil paints and this is the first time ever that I  couldn't paint.


This is what my palette looked like while I was working.  The problem may have been more the blowing snow mixing with the paint than the actual cold.  When I could work it the paint was more like wet sand than paint.




This is my painting on my easel.  It is far from finished but it is as far as I could go with it and there is so much snow mixed in with the paint that it will be a mess when it thaws.  I would love to carry this farther and especially darken and grey the tree which is way to brown but the whole thing is far to unstable to even think about it.




This is the view that I was attempting.  It is just outside an artist friends back door so I was tempted to duck inside but it is better to just get used to the cold.

It sounds as if it was a miserable experience but I had a blast.  I was outside surrounded with snow holding a paintbrush.  I still love my job.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot even imagine how you did it..lol Three of us were at Tiffany Falls yesterday. Since this was my first winter painting experience in mild temps compared to today I was surprised how the paint stiffened..Today it must have been like painting with play dough..lol..But I understand what you mean by fun!! Look forward to seeing this painting finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are addicted to painting outside if you enjoyed yourself at Tiffany Falls on Monday.

    I am not sure that I will finish this. I kept adding layers of paint over top of ice crystals so now that it is melted there are pockets of water embedded in the paint. It is all very mushy. Debbie likes it though so maybe I will try to salvage it.

    ReplyDelete