Sunday 2 November 2014

Quantity 6 - Quality 1

I have had a busy week.  I painted Monday (1 painting), Tuesday (3) Wednesday (1) and Thursday (1).  Unfortunately I struggled with all of them and I am only really happy with one.

We were at La Salle Park on Monday and I elected to paint the birches behind the sailing school building.  This turned out all wrong because I started off with the birch trunks too fat and and the building too big.  I also couldn't decide what to do about the white building behind the white trunks,  I almost didn't post this but it is all part of the process.

Catherine Gibbon's class on Tuesday was in a very inspiring location. I was there from nine in the morning until five in the afternoon and struggled the whole time.  This is the best of my three paintings and I don't like it.  I used violet for the sky and the trees to set off the yellow of the leaves however I made it much too purple. Why is it the more inspired I am the more I struggle?

Wednesday was the sketch group and it is just plain fun.  This is Udo.  He sniffled and chewed gum the whole time that he posed but for me that is no big deal.  He is a character and fun to paint.

Thursday was a better day.  We were at Princess Point shortly after eight and the sun was just coming up over the hill when we got there.  When I started this everything was in shadow except the tops of the poplars and they were brilliant. I am happy with this one.  I think I captured the feel of a bright but chilly fall morning.

1 comment:

  1. John inthink all of these are great pieces. The one from Lasalle with the building is quite lovely. Those trees look amazing. The painting from Catherines class is fantastic with the purple sky. The portrait is incredible!! And the last painting is stunning with the fall colours. I especially like the foreground. We are always too hard on ourselves it seems. Dont be, these are all beautiful works of art! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete