Tuesday 25 February 2014

Princess Point Willow

Our Monday painters group (only 6 this time) met at Princess Point yesterday. It was -6 C but there was a gusty wind that was biting.  There is a group of willows at the end of Princess Point that I have been looking at for a while.  The grass in front of this big old willow was bright and colourful when I set up and the snowy path and distant shore glowed in the sunlight.  I managed to find a spot that was relatively sheltered and proceeded to paint.

The warm sun didn't stay out for long and it got cold and grey.  I lost the wonderful warm light and colour that attracted me to the scene and I think that it caused me to lose my direction a bit too.  This ended up a tad overworked, especially in the foreground but I am okay with it.  I usually paint dark branches over the lighter sky but this time I painted the branches first and then painted around them.  It was tedious, especially with cold fingers, but it does make for a more painterly painting.

Next week is the same location.  It is supposed to stay cold so we should still have snow and the willows are just starting to turn yellow so it should be colourful.

I am off to Crooks Hollow again this afternoon.  It is supposed to be -8 with 16 Kph wind so it will be much the same weather as yesterday.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment