Friday 4 April 2014

Spring is Here

It is so nice to be out painting with no gloves.  Monday was another special day because we were painting snow scenes dressed in light sweaters.  There were about a dozen of our Monday Painters at Spring Valley Park in Ancaster.  I am really happy with this painting.  It reminds me a bit of Tom Thomson's "Path Behind Mowat Lodge".


Tuesday Cathy Gibbon's class was at Courtcliff Park in Carlisle.  It was cold, windy and cloudy when we started however we painted for five and a half hours and by the time we finished it was much warmer and the sky was a clear blue.  I managed two paintings.  The first I overworked and the second one which I am posting was done in about twenty minutes with a palette knife.  Sadly this is the best of the two.  It was however a great day of learning.


Wednesday was life drawing with the BFAA sketch group.  Cassandra is a great model and as I get better at my life drawings and portrait sketches my landscape compositions are getting much better.
 

After the life sketching we had a brown bag lunch gathering of plein air artists in the Burlington Art Centre studio.  About thirty people showed up to do a show and tell around painting on location.  There were members from quite a few of the groups that I paint with along with a number of artists interested in giving plein air painting a try.  Most of us had samples of our artwork and some had their easels and painting equipment set up. Plein air painters have to be some of the friendliest people anywhere and it is absolutely safe to generalize here.

No comments:

Post a Comment