Tuesday 30 September 2014

Culture Days

This past weekend Burlington had a very active Culture Days celebration going on.  I painted outside the city hall on Friday with the Burlington Fine Art Association and at Spencer Smith Park on Saturday and Sunday with the Monday Painters.  My painting on Friday was a disaster because it was very busy and I didn't see much that inspired me in any way.


My painting from Saturday is on the right.  I am very pleased with it because it was a very hot but gorgeous day weather wise so the park was full of people.  We were right on the breakwater and everyone wanted to talk to the artists.  Chatting with passersby can be a lot of fun but it makes it hard to stay focused on the work at hand.


This is my painting from Sunday.  It was even hotter so I found some shade under a tree beside Helen Griffiths.  It was very hazy when we started but it steadily cleared while we were in the process of attempting to capture the scene.  The top of the bridge was above the haze so the sun gleamed off the metalwork.  I elected to zoom in on the bridge while Helen kept it off in the distance.  Hers captures the misty feel much better than mine and the addition of the boats adds to the story. A good lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment