Wednesday 5 March 2014

Life Drawing

The Burlington Fine Art Association works like an artist co-op.  Anywhere from half a dozen of us to sometimes as many as thirty gather every Wednesday morning in the fine art studio and we all chip in for model fees, coffee etc.  Today was life drawing.  We all set up in a circle and the model is in the centre.  We decide on the length of time and she decides how she will pose each time.


We did a few four minute sketches and then two twenty minute ones and finally two forty-five minute poses.  My quick sketches are really terrible and my twenty minute ones are pretty bad too.  This is the first of my longer sketches.  Her head and face are too small but the hands may be my best ever.  I have always avoided them in the past.

Painting landscapes is less work because if a branch fastens to the tree in the wrong place who is to know but an arm must attach at the shoulder etc.


This is my second and last forty-five minute sketch. This would not have been a pose that I would have chosen to do but it was the most interesting.  It is a wonderful study in foreshortening.  Her lower arm is too thin and her hand too narrow but considering the tough angle I am very happy with this.

 I love doing landscapes and "life" drawing was always only slightly more interesting than doing "still" life work in my mind.  Today I decided to rethink that.

No comments:

Post a Comment