Sunday 9 March 2014

The CMY Colour Wheel

I have been having a love-hate relationship with the cyan-magenta-yellow colour wheel since I started using it.  I could not seem to tame the intense colours, especially the phthalo blue.  Today I learned how.  I was at a workshop put on by Keith Thirgood as and OPAS activity.  He has a well thought out palette on which he has those three primaries but he also includes their almost perfect compliments which makes it easy to make them less saturated.  Just add the compliment.  Mixing two compliments makes an almost perfect black.  It is also almost impossible to get anything close to mud with this transparent palette.


This is the painting that I did in the class.  I was more focused on mixing colours than on brushstrokes so it is a bit fussy and overworked but the cyan has been tamed so I am excited.  I can't wait to get outside with it.

So how do I mix brown?

No comments:

Post a Comment